12/20/11

A few holiday colors

I haven't started holiday-themed manicures in earnest yet, but here are a few that I wore a month or so ago that would be good for Christmas.

Revlon Mistletoe
Above is Revlon Mistletoe from the Spice It Up holiday collection. This is a deep evergreen with multicolored shimmer - I can see green, red, copper, gold...really pretty. This has a smooth finish. Now that I'm looking at this picture, I can't wait to wear this again.

Wet 'n' Wild Rockin' Rubies
I purchased two colors from the Wet 'n' Wild Ice Baby collection, and I didn't really care for either of them. I really, really, really hate super lumpy glitter and this is as lumpy as they come. Two coats of Gelous and a coat of Seche Vite couldn't tame this and in fact seemed to make it worse. It was so gritty I couldn't stand it.

Which is a shame, because it's beautiful. Tons of sparkle and some gorgeous holographic glitter thrown in for good measure. Perhaps leaving plenty of time between coats would allow this monster to dry smoother, but I'm reluctant to try. Removal was, as you might imagine, labor intensive.

OPI Speak for Your Elf
Speak for Your Elf is one of this year's Ulta/OPI holiday exclusives. It's a red jelly with red and perhaps pink or silver glitter, nothing groundbreaking, but truly pretty. I wore this for nearly a week and got a ton of compliments (why do people always seem to notice reds, of all things?) The picture above is two coats but I think this could use three for the deepest, richest color. I'll definitely be wearing this on or around Christmas Day. Removal was about as you would expect with a glitter, but I didn't even use foil and it didn't require too much elbow grease.

In addition, here's a link to a holiday post I did two (!!!) years ago, with some more ideas. Some of them are mostly long gone by now (Sally Hansen Project Runway, SH Zip, OPI Visions of Sugarplums, OPI Merry Midnight)...and oy, my pictures. I need to re-take some of those!

What are you wearing on your nails for the holidays?

No comments: