12/18/11

Jamberry Nail Shields

Earlier this fall, Tara, a Jamberry Nails consultant, asked if she could send me a set of Jamberry nail shields to review. I agreed and she promptly sent over a half sheet of the turquoise and pink polka pattern.
This is a half sheet - each set contains a full sheet, which is enough to do 2-3 manicures or pedicures. A set is $15.


The nail shields have a glossy finish, so you don't need to use top coat with them. The instructions are extremely easy to follow and after a quick read-through you could be up and running with these in no time flat.


To apply the shields, you remove them from the paper backing and warm the sticky side with a hair dryer for 10-15 seconds. I used a pair of tweezers to gently hold the shield under the blow dryer so the hot air wouldn't burn my fingers.


After you heat them up, simply apply the shield to your nail and then trim and file to fit. You do need to work quickly to take advantage of the shield being its most flexible. Once you've got it on your nail, you can press it gently with an orange stick to ensure a tight fit. On a couple of nails, I used the hair dryer to warm the shield up again and then press it down firmly with the orange stick. I simply used a small pair of nail scissors to trim off the excess shield, and then carefully filed off the remaining bits.




My nail plate is relatively small/narrow, and I didn't have any trouble getting the shields to fit. You can see here I had a little bit of a gap at the top of my index finger - that's because I should have trimmed the shield a bit more. Operator error.


But mostly, I think they look great.


Really nice and tidy, which I like.




I love how glossy these are. They also didn't feel thick or uncomfortable on my nail, and they didn't snag on my clothes or other fabrics while I wore them.


Jamberry nail shields are designed to last up to two weeks on fingers and a whopping six weeks on toes. This would be a great alternative for a vacation or any other time you don't want to think about your polish chipping. I think new growth would be the only thing that would keep me from wearing them more than a week, or if they began to lift significantly. (Jamberry recommends using a small amount of nail glue to seal the free edge, if you like.) I think that $15 for 2 or 3 manicures or pedicures is a good price, especially with the variety of designs to choose from.


These were very easy to remove - you just heat them up with the hair dryer for a few seconds and gently peel them off. They came right off my nails with absolutely no peeling or damage to my nail, which is a huge plus.


The booklet I received with my nail shields has pictures of a number of the designs, and some of them look pretty awesome. I realize these pictures aren't ideal, but I wanted to give you an idea of the variety (which you can, of course, also see on the site). There are more than 160 styles available.




I really want to try the metallic silver/white fishnet design. So awesome. The metallic designs look very Minx-like to me. In addition, there are some holiday designs up on the site now - I especially like the whimsical swirls, the dark red floral, sunflower damask and OMG the yellow and gray floral! Tara says there will also be Valentine and St. Patrick's Day designs released soon - great news for those of you who like to tailor your manicure to the holiday.


If you're interested in Jamberry, the site has lots of information, including how to become a Jamberry consultant. You can also follow Tara on Facebook.


A product sample was provided to me for use in this review.

No comments: